Several people have asked for more information and guidance in writing blog posts. While we don’t have restrictions on length, style, or voice, we do want to make sure that the posts follow a code of conduct that embodies the values of the community. To that end, we are asking that you follow the code of conduct used by the OpenCon community.
We don’t want to stifle your creativity, so we have a few guidelines…
- Know your purpose – why are you writing this piece? To inform, persuade, or entertain?
- Know your audience and write for their needs, knowledge, and expertise.
- Put your thoughts into context by linking to others’ work.
- PLoS Science Communication blog
- Nature Blogs
- Brain Pickings
- London School of Economics, Impact of Social Sciences blog
- Flowing Data
and some strategies that might be helpful.
- Write a descriptive title that gives readers some idea what the piece will contain.
- Generally, aim for a piece that is about 500 – 800 words. However, if you want to write a long-form essay, you are welcome to do so.
- Ask at least one person to read it before sending it to us.